Here is an excerpt from a philosophy paper I have worked on for years. As it is mostly a description of what I think of the history of philosophy, I believe it has a place on this blog:
1. The presocratics took different views of being and becoming. The extreme views giving way to a dominant philosophy of ideal forms which engendered the advancement of formalistic reasoning. This was first adapted to ideology and then to rationalism.
2. Rationalism was challenged by empiricism which argued the only basis for an ideal is experience. This debate was played out through the famous arguments spanning the four hundred years between the seventeenth and twentieth centuries. Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz insisted convincingly that only mental substance exists as opposed to the dualism of R. Descartes and others. Bishop Berkeley’s dialogs on the ineffability of sensible impressions were challenged by Kant’s formalism. Kant was in turn demolished by Schopenhauer and Hume. (Not working together mind you!)
3. The irrationalism of experience led to the Nietzschean revolution in which it became apparent that “value” was relative and not altruistic. This evolved through the tragic apogee of reason in existentialism to the invalidation of symbolic representation and logic by the great nineteenth century titans like Wittgenstein and Russell.
4. Even so, a survey of Plato or Spinoza can still empower us. As reason does not have to have validity or absolute truth. It is a natural process that provides us the positive experience of harmony. (Of course here one must think of Boethius and know that fortune will always give and take. Positive is a valuation but is it not irrefutable that harmony is necessary to persist an identity and disharmony is the collapse of a categorical ‘whole’?)
5. Unknown to most students of philosophy, a new and profound science was created in the field of programming which actually unifies this long discourse. Object oriented programming is both metaphysical axiom (there are any number of supernal sets of possible actions – called ‘classes’) and empirical in that only certain methods are ‘instantiated’ in given circumstances. Further, an object can have multiple identities depending on context. It is not theory it is how our language based technology works today.
6. I conclude that: human thought is meaningless without G*d and the proof is that 1-5 all exist and don't prove a thing!
Ani Uveyti Naavod Et H"
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel
Monday, June 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment