Ani Uveyti Naavod Et H"
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel

Friday, June 11, 2010

Kitab al Khazari Notes

Congregational argument. Individual option, taste and error are diluted in consensus and are prevented by a strong authority. The lack of share belies in society has created a situation of desperation an pathology. We automatically consider true authority suspect and doomed to corruption. It so often does but what is true of people is not true of the sovereignty of G*d. The end of individuality is subjectivity. Balance is required.
Eye for an Eye but what if the man takes an eye from one who has two but only has one themselves?
Divine inspiration. G*d acts in the world, directs it.
After life. This is another example of very strong Socratic and Greek influences. I believe the entire dialog by Halevi to be a very early western dialectic.
G*d’s attributes maybe seen in the glory of nature but nature itself is not to be worshiped. This is not to say it can’t be learned from or inspirational.
You can only be near G*d through the commandments.
Discussion of Hebrew meter, divine resonance of the vowels and illusions to gemantra.
Reference to Sh’ ma in Mark 12:29. (It is true I read it. It amazed me because it is the scene in which he causes trouble in the temple and for which the textual figure was condemned.) It is hard to imagine Jews arguing about how to do something at synagogue isn’t it 
“No Israelites No Torah.” (The torah is boundless)

No comments:

Post a Comment