I am really enjoying these essays. For so many years, I failed to get down my ideas on paper. I would always find flaws in my own arguments. Apparently you have to take a position to explain one! I still take off on the wind once I get rolling; especially if I have a pot of ice-tea nearby. So be it.
Going after the inequities and hypocrisies of science, Christianity, and free-will was satisfying. (G*d grant me humility so that I do not enjoy criticism for its own sake.)
Now wound up at any rate, I will address the subject of Creationism. I can't stick to the topic narrowly as it leads me to a meditation on epistemology and ontology.
Except for my three years of subjection (1994-1997), I have always believed in intelligent design. Having said this, it must be added that I despise the creepy people like Sarah Palin who believe all dinosaur bones are fabricated.
I don't have any special desire to vindicate dinosaurs but millions of people believe there is a century old, worldwide conspiracy. The reasons they give for this range from an army of demons to those pesky know-it-all college professors.
We are all subject to bias to some extent but are you frigging kidding me?
This raises an interesting idea. Is insanity just a matter of belief? Can we define insanity as faith in preposterous, ludicrous, and ridiculous ideas?
Won't people just argue endlessly over what is and what is not preposterous? Is what the definition of ‘preposterous’ relative?
I first started thinking about this when I read Friedrich Nietzsche as a teenager. At the time I thought it was the height of fashion to 'prove by algebra' anything and then completely doubt anything that could be proven by algebra. Nietzsche foresaw this 'revaluation' of all values and it drove him mad. Our madness today is that we believe things are completely relative. If things are completely relative they have no meaning at all except what we assign to them at a given time. This is a concept I understand from my decade as a programmer. It is called 'passing by reference'. The problem is that outside the axiomatic world of defined operators and enumerators all you yield is destruction. This is because it is far more difficult to construct and maintain values than to deconstruct and undermine them.
Sure there are innumerable mysteries and things we can't know but that isn't the same as there being no reality. I pray G*d take power from those who continue to promote this foolish philosophy. This idea is one of the biggest problems with all of us. We can't just continue to believed in only what each of us feel is true. We have to stop denying there are many more things we all agree on than things we do not. This is one big reason why we suffer and we waste all our energy on trying to define truth for others. G*d is Truth. G*d is the source of all meaning and the reason for all things. Truth isn't subjective. The idea we can't have truth is a terrible lie. It justifies all manner of atrocity and oppression. We just have to realize that we are the ones who are flawed. We are the ones whose intelligence is limited. Just as we can't travel through time we can't know the ultimate truth; this doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It just means we are not G*ds. If people would stop trying to be G*ds they would know the peace of the one true G*d's ineffable sanctity.
I fell off the side of an intellectual rant there, back to creationism:
I remember that in the fifth grade, I asked to sit in the hall during a film strip on evolution (kids won't know what that is today). I was the only one who did this and it was because I was a serious catholic. I remember reading 'Inherit the Wind' around the same time and not understanding how the school and the church could disagree. So I know how where the PhoneyBoney people come from but I have to challenge them. Do you have any evidence that there is a conspiracy at all or are their beliefs requiring that they look for conspiracies?
This reminds me of Aldous Huxley's comment (which I heard on the web in a Berkeley audio series) that 25% of people are highly suggestible, 25% are more likely to be suggestible, 25% are less likely to be suggestible, and 25% are likely not to be suggestible. I suggest (haha) that you take half of this 75% you arrive at about half the people in the world being followers. Moreover, I imagine that the noble 50% is probably highly pressured by the conformist 75%. Finally of that rare breed which thinks about their own beliefs most are very lazy and far from intelligent. At any rate this explains the world I live in. I suppose that makes me sound as if I think myself superior. I can only say that if I had a planet to dump them on I would never want to see 90% of these people again. I am however only superior to dull-witted, fish-eyed, conformists who have allowed our system of co-dependence and corruption to achieve its current state of decadence and injustice.
The subjects of creation and ontology should be reserved for advanced students. I consider them largely mystical. They have to be don't they? What practical knowledge could they entail? I suppose there are the subjects of Kabala and those of abstract natural science like physics. They describe how G*d manifests creation. I can only say that the greatest physicists believe there is a distinct limit to perceptual and cognitive certainty. As for Kabala, I studied it for nine years only to have one off-hand sentence by a sage make me see all that work was wasted. I wouldn't recommend Kabala unless you can deal with that kind power. The study of G*d's mystery is dangerous; even the sages taught only a few special people. Just to complete the thought, I feel G*d has told me to turn towards making my way in the world as a man and leave the study of such mysteries of creation to others. Perhaps in my old age, I will take it up again.
Pragmatically, creationism must not limit G*d. I am instantly nervous when forced to judge between the 5770 years since Adam and what I was taught about geological time. Trying to reconcile the two models means reducing them to a lowest common denominator. I don't think it matters what came before Adam. (Also the sages mention that a day in creation can't be a day on earth because the day wasn't created until the 4th day).
G*d has made the contradiction and in him it is somehow transcended. G*d is eternal. All the ways of counting time, all the forms of matter are of and for G*d. (Prepositions notwithstanding.)
G*d is the source of all meaning and the reason for all being. G*d is being. People however can measure by any number of different means. Arbitrary historical ages for example - the iron age was at different times in different places.
Judaism through its love of history, its chronicle, its literature, and its commitment to family is a womb for G*d's grace to enter the world. May all of us reject pride and be instrument for good to manifest. This is also what has changed my mind about having children. I now want them because procreation is an act that allows G*d to create through us.
Ani Uveyti Naavod Et H"
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel
Wednesday, June 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment