Ani Uveyti Naavod Et H"
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Metaphysical Speculation.

At oneg a friend raised the question of whether G*d exists. A phrase fell out of the air for me. I said "Do you know how we have abstractions? Such as "Sports" it is not any one sport like baseball or soccer. In fact all sports are necessarily different from one another but we still have this concept "Sports". Existence is an abstraction for G*d."

This is actually na argument I had written years ago against platonism but I had never related it to G*d. I did however go on to mention the pre-socratic paramendes who believed there is no such thing as something which does not exist.

Surprisingly the young scholar at the table concurred and said, that in fact the sages (which ones I hope I can ask him) believe the formula is "The chair does not not exist."

It was heavy. Although I think I could do well studying mysticism, I do not wish to until I am retired. For the time being I want to dedicate all my talents to study and writing. I pray for humility and insight. I pray that my passion for words may increase my faith and the faith of others. I want to inspire and inform. All-Mightly G*d may I serve you with humility for others, may this be my purpose and may it serve peace and understanding. Though we will never have total peace or understanding let us endure and fill us with your meaning.

I want to add, again, that if people believe G*d does not exist I pity them and pray for them. I know beliefs are not the same as faith. I want people to have faith as for their beliefs I do not see my purpose as to change them. When G*d grants a person sufficient reason they will change. All I can say is I thank G*d that he changed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment