Ani Uveyti Naavod Et H"
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel

Monday, June 28, 2010

Pinchas

Parshah Pinchas
Numbers 25:10-30:1 I Kings 18:46-19:21

I have a lot to get down in this post but I am all over the place. So be it!
Before recording my thoughts on Pinchas and 1 Kings 19, I wanted to add a few notes on this weekend's study. Rabbi is inspiring as a Hebraist and her love of Torah fills me with admiration. She made some extremely interesting comments on Balak from the drash about 'intention'. The implications of which are staggering. The question she asked is whether Baalim's intention was to curse and G*d made him bless. I hadn't thought of this at all. I identified with Baalim because of the beauty of what he said. Consider he intended to curse and couldn't! If you asked this question about intent for every prophet and about every miracle of the first generation Wow?! I hope to meditate on this again.
Also, I didn't express my views on Balak correctly. I wanted to clarify but had already been given two opportunities to speak; which was a great honor. I have learned that capitalizing on a discussion isn't the goal; it only matters that we increase community study and faith. I figured I could come back to it here on my blog instead. It turns out that the subject also ties into my view of Pinchas.

A comment on this- The integration of themes in Numbers is as amazing as their abundance. Often they even seem to contradict each other and yet they still provide additional wisdom. I have always considered this one of the rare qualities of the Hebrew sacred texts. The romantic in me calls this the 'sign' of angelic entelechies. Perhaps, perhaps not. It may be only the genius of countless generations; but it has an organic and preternatural quality. Now that I am not an apologist I can say that I believe it to be the living nature of Torah.

As to what I wanted to say Saturday: What I heard was another member saying that Balak was like Hitler. To me this meant an enemy that always 'curses'. I said that Baalim showed that not all people on either side of a conflict were ‘Hitlers’. I also meant to propose that not all of our enemies are easy to see (the donkey angel parable again).


In Pinchas, the Midianites intentionally send women to seduce Israelites. The idea contrasts with the failure of the Moabites to cruse Israel. The idea is that the Israelites can only be hurt when they don't fulfill the requirements of their faith. This supports my interpretation because it is a way of attacking without violence. (This also seems to tie back to my idea of in Hukkat regarding the waters of Meribah speaking verses. striking)..Am I just seeing what I want? :)
(G*d may I never cling to an interpretation but see it from different sides, and question my own ideas; with only doing good for you and not pride as my end.)
I was amazed, that the idea of zealotry (As Balak also was a zealot) is then shown in Pinchas who is rewarded with extreme honors. This ties to the Haftorah which has a similar (and beautiful) occasion of prophecy with Elijah. He will not learn even though G*d shows him wonders. In that he will not give up what he knows even when instructed he and apparently the age of great prophets comes to an end.

The parsha also includes the story of the daughters of Zelophehad. In this advocacy leads to extended rights for women. This adaptive justice contrasts with the stern judgment in rewarding the actions of Pinchas who ends a plague by murdering the adulterers. It also reflects the opposite of the idea of women/sex used as a weapon. Woman are allowed through this precedent to contribute to the continuity of property (as they do anyway through descent.)
I am interested to see what the women of our synagogue think of this portion.

No comments:

Post a Comment