Vayivarech David
"The recitation of these verses was introduced in the 13th century by Rabbi Meir of Rothenburg." Wikipedia.
I read that when it is not Shabbat there is a custom to give charity when this is recited as it was at this time David collected voluntary contributions for the temple.
I chronicles 29:10-13
Wherefore David blessed the LORD before all the congregation; and David said: 'Blessed be Thou, O LORD, the God of Israel our father, forever and ever. Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty; for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is Thine; Thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and Thou art exalted as head above all. Both riches and honour come of Thee, and Thou rulest over all; and in Thy hand is power and might; and in Thy hand it is to make great, and to give strength unto all. Now therefore, our God, we thank Thee, and praise Thy glorious name.
When we come to this section we stand. I always pace when I read this as If I am addressing a crowd. Despite his faults, despite the endless examples of leaders using G*d's name to rally men, this is my ideal. In my ideal we are lead by the righteous, they truly give G*d the glory and make him their reason, his worship thier success.
In this section David has however learned he won't be able to build the temple because of his sins. His once desired a woman so much he had a man killed, now he desires even more passionately to build G*d's temple. He is forbidden but he accepts it and tells the people it is G*d's will. We therefore learn that after grevious actions we forfiet rights but that can still do good again and should.
Good is putting G*d and others first.
Summer Psalms Project Page
Ani Uveyti Naavod Et H"
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel
Friday, April 22, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment