Ani Uveyti Naavod Et H"
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel

Friday, April 15, 2011

Psalm 19

(This is written as part of a study project I am doing this summer on the Psalms.(This psalm is part of P'sukei d'Zimra.)

In morning prayers this psalm can fly by before you are really receptive. It isn't challenging and therefore is easy to take for granted.

The verses have an easy, openness asking us to reflect on G*d's glory that it may inspire repentance. We are asked to look deep within ourselves and clear our conscience.

It is like a stretch before a run, yet it also contains transcendental message expressed in poetic power.

Unfortunately, The English versions on line are horrible. Not that I translate Hebrew myself, but the version in Sim Shalom is much clearer and more moving.

The psalm contains many oppositions used to express G*d's greatness. The opposition creates both a symbol and a fuller image. Then those images are set into metaphors giving them weight and power.

In firsts lines include, "The Heavens declare" and the "firmament showeth". Similarly but more expansively follow the ideas the Day "speaks", and the Night "Reveals knowledge."

The difference between "The heavens" and the "firmament" (Translated "sky" in Sim Shalom) and between "declaring" and "showing" seem unimportant. What is suggested is that each part of nature (heavens, sky) and all of life (Day and Night) are G*d's creation and express G*d's glory. Hidden in that idea perhaps is also that they are all united in G*d.

The poet notes that though nature doesn't have words or a voice it still 'speaks', it’s very beauty and serenity 'praise' and inspire praise.

The sun moving through the sky and warming the earth is described as a marriage. The sun itself is anthropomorphized into a man full of joy and vigor after making love to a new bride.

Then we have a string of synonyms "The law, the testimony, the precepts, the commandments, the fear, and the ordinances." Each is "perfect, restoring to the soul, sure, rejoicing the heart, enlightening, enduring and righteous altogether". They are "More desirable than Gold", and "sweeter than honey."

Amen!

One word jumps out from the list "fear." It doesn't seem to fit with these other words that mean the Torah. I am going to guess this is a bad translation. Even if not, it may suggest G*d's presence (Surely related in many senses to observance of mitzvot in the world.) This concept might be along the lines of "fear" as the beginning of wisdom. Fear doesn't feel like the right word. Fear comes from within. The presence of G*d is a 'fear' like no other because the infinite annihilates the individual.

I am reminded of Shemot (33:17:20)

"And the LORD said unto Moses: 'I will do this thing also that thou hast spoken, for thou hast found grace in My sight, and I know thee by name. and he said: 'Show me, I pray Thee, Thy glory.' And He said: 'I will make all My goodness pass before thee, and will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy.' And He said: 'Thou canst not see My face, for man shall not see Me and live.'

If true of Moshe, how much more so of one who is full of guilt and shame?

Line 15 "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable before Thee, O LORD, my Rock, and my Redeemer." occurs several times toward the end of the Amidah. It is preceded by soul searching.

Not only does the psalmist wish to make the Torah the center of his life but he asks G*d twice to help him find 'hidden' faults and to keep him from "presumptuous" iniquity.

From this we learn that our ideals must make us act and our actions must not be simple conformity. In reflecting on G*d we can 'tune' ourselves like a guitar. As we begin davening in the morning this idea is appropriate.

To return to the image of the sun a last time, "Nothing is hid from the heat thereof." So also may it be said that nothing is hidden from G*d. Therefore don't hold back from him.

(Rashi points out that the verse refers to the sun's heat, whose effect is inescapable, rather than its light, which is easily avoided.) Rabbi Jack Abramowitz

Summer Psalms Project Page

No comments:

Post a Comment