Psalm 100
(This is written as part of a study project I am doing this summer on the Psalms.(This psalm is part of P'sukei d'Zimra.)
Only five verses make up Psalm 100. It is "A Psalm of Thanksgiving" and although it is anonymous it is attributed to Moshe Rabbenu.
For fun, I have decided to write a little response to each line.
1. A Psalm of thanksgiving. Shout unto the L*rd, all the world.
When was the last time you felt sufficiently thankful to cheer? Was it something stupid like a touchdown? I believe we often think of thankfulness as a quiet emotion. We don't want to draw attention to ourselves when we prosper. Yet this line asks the whole world to make noise. Many religions use ecstatic states for worship. Is the Psalmist asking us to do voodoo? No. :) but the entire world and everything in it should be thankful. Our lives should be our shout unto the L*rd!
2. Serve the L*rd with gladness; come before him with singing.
Shouting and singing, sounds like a minyan to me!
Incidentally, I read that this line is the origin of the song "Ivdu Es Hashem B'Simcha"
I wish I could take this to heart. I do willingly and happily serve H". I love to sign the liturgy and to pray to him. Yet, I have trouble with happiness and hope.
I have seen others live lives full of angels and demons.
I am not a fearful man but am sensitive. The more Torah I read, the more I study, the more I need to control visions of the Kellipot. For example, the more I study Torah, the more I feel drawn into G*d's wrath over the people's iniquity and rejection of him. This is mortally dangerous. It is I think that same species of 'devil' that makes a righteous Muslim a killer in the name of G*d. I don't risk that, but I risk delusion and self destruction if I become self righteous. I must remember that I spent 17 years on my own path and that this is natural and proper.
L*rd turn my hate into poetry; help me to balance, may I indeed serve thee.
3. Know that the L*rd, he is G*d. It is he that hath made us, and we are his, his people. We are the flock guided by G*d.
Both Moshe and David were shepherds. Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and his sons were also husbandman.
In many ways the idea of people as "sheep" has become a negative. People like to think they are status-quo defying one-of-a kind originals but by and large they 'flock' to trends and fashions. Ironically, they avoid organized religion because they don't want to be "guided" by anyone. You can be right with G*d in your heart, but you can not serve him alone. "We are his." If you doubt you are not but a child who thinks the house is his. Moreover, you have forgotten that the world was created and exists only for the will of G*d.
4. Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise; give thanks unto him, and bless his name.
Praise G*d and give him thanks. Both the Mishkan and the temple had gates and a courtyard. G*d is imagined in his dwelling places and we approach as subjects.
The idea of the king to whom we completely submit, to whom all is due has been corrupted by men who would be as G*d's over other men. Most argue that our idea of G*d has to evolve. Yet in the psalms forever is this idea of the perfect King and Judge. Before the L*rd I stand in awe and from it know again my own innocence.
5. For the L*rd is good, his mercy endureth forever; and his faithfulness unto all generations.
Amen!
Summer Psalms Project Page
Ani Uveyti Naavod Et H"
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel
Friday, April 22, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment