Ani Uveyti Naavod Et H"
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel

Monday, April 18, 2011

Psalm 92

Psalm 92, The Psalm for Shabbat.

There is a Psalm suggested for each day of the week and Psalm 92 is read on Saturdays, the Shabbat.

In study I found these two quotes interesting:

"The initials of the opening words, Mizmor Shir L'yom HaShabbos, are an anagram of "l'Moshe," a Psalm of Moses."

"Each Psalm of Moses is said to correspond to a different Tribe. This Psalm would correspond to the Tribe of Judah. "To praise" - l'hodos in Hebrew - is the root of the name Yehuda - Judah - from which comes the word "Jews."

By the way, R. Abramowitz has a series of enlightening reflections on the psalms at the orthodox union site to which I am now habitually turning. http://www.ou.org/torah/article/psalms_chapter_92

Each psalm, like each prayer is dynamic offering many platforms for perspective, many contexts, and providing many types of experiences. Liturgy offers the soul world after world. Different approaches and focus open up new horizons.

The subject matter is also most exquisite and illuminating. Take the last line, which we say so often.

"To declare that '' is just, my rock in who there is no flaw."

First, I noted that the online translation is "no unrighteousness." Now I don't get caught up on which is right because I am no Hebraist, however as a writer I consider the positive formulations whose "righteousness is without flaw." but then I see what the translator of the Sim Shalom may have been thinking. Not only is G*'d righteousness without flaw, he has no flaw at all. :)

Moreover, on a whim I looked for references to the "Rock" and found

2 Samuel 22:1-2.

"And David spoke unto the LORD the words of this song in the day that the LORD delivered him out of the hand of all his enemies, and out of the hand of Saul; and he said: The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer."

In my heart I imagine this proves the author of Samuel had read the psalms :) The psalm is attributed to Moshe. Therefore, the reference in Samuel may allow the hopeful inference. However more than a possibility the spiritual connection is there for the G*d that Moshe prayed to is the G*d to whom David prayed, and to whom we pray.

The L*rd our G*d is the G*d of all generations.

Now on to the text for a little joyful close reading!

"It is good to give thanks unto the L*rd, and to sing praises unto thy name, O Most high." (1)

I was taught and I strive not to ask for things from G*d on Shabbat. I 'imagine' that in embracing the commandment I have gained/realized a second soul and that soul I assume to be untarnished, concerned as much as possible with G*d. I try to make my other soul more like it.

Yes, my Shabbat soul is still imperfect and I make mistakes. This only however reminds me that all the other days of the week I am not further from G*d.

"Most high." The inexplicable habit of referring to the above as greater. Are the highest prices the best prices? (Well I guess they are if you are the seller!) It is a constant source of wonder that G*d is most holy "Most set apart" (Most high) and yet not distant as he is often characterized.

He is directly in control of creation! People don't like to think that because creation has so much that is unpleasant and so much that is not good. It is all subject to his sovereignty and it all exists only for his purposes.

I try to remember that G*d is also the greatest of the small, and unconquerable in every measure. "To declare thy loving-kindness in the morning and thy faithfulness each night."

There is no issue with wondering if this is a reference to the Shema since its source is in D'varim. However it is much more. G*d's loving-kindness is the length of our days. Day and night if we have any peace, that we have a world, that we do not perish are all his will.

Verses 4-6 reflect the proper attitude to this realization. Sing, play instruments, be glad, and exalt in his works."

"You are supreme forever" (9) This is the only wisdom. The unrighteous 'spring up' and 'rise against' the righteous but 'Their doom is sealed.” they shall perish and be scattered.

Only the righteous shall flourish (Not literal but a feeling that righteousness breeds righteousness)

This psalm draws the line in the dirt. When I recite it I am thinking I stand on the side of those who will not perish. I stand with those who praise G*d with all my might. I give thanks to the Holy One, Blessed is he.

For myself I don't realte to the verse mentioning being "anointed with fragrant oil." but when I think of anointed I think of the Messiach and long for him.

For myself I do not need need the promise of bearing fruit in old age but this turns my thoughts to Father Abraham and the covenant. The covenant, our actions, are what entitles us to hope.

When I hear those words so often I think instead, I want to live a life of purpose. I want to be close to my beloved. I want the work of my hands to be 'firmly established.' but nothing matters if I am not thankful and do not recognize it is his loving-kindness that nourishes the whole world, every minute, every hour. (As in birkat Hamazon.)

This psalm is not a puzzle it is a warm spring calling to the spirit to sink deep within. G*d be praised, may the unrighteous be redeemed or let them utterly fail .

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment