Ani Uveyti Naavod Et H"
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Psalm 91

Psalm 91 (Yosheiv B'seiser)
(This is written as part of a study project I am doing this summer on the Psalms.(This psalm is part of P'sukei d'Zimra.)

Although the Psalm doesn't declare it the OU site says it is attributed to Moshe Rabbenu. It does have a very d'varim feeling about it. (I guess there is no way to prove or disprove that statement but I felt it sufficently to write it.)

Of the faithful we are told "A thousand shall fall at thy side, then a thousand at they right hand; it shall not come nigh thee." This is the "covert" and "shadow" of G*d which is the refuge of the righteous. G*d is comparred thus to a 'habitation' for goodness. The psalmist extends the promise and hope that they shall see the "recompense of the wicked."

In a poetic flourish we are told that with his angels attending us, we shall "tread upon the lion and asp; the young lion and the serpent shalt thou trample under feet." This is curious restating that amplifies the intent.

Interestingly there follows a reversal in which the psalmist declares that he will 'rescue' G*d. Which may sound preposterous but it fills the soul with fire. G*d needs no saving but faith in him is the object of much mockery. Science with its conceit. Capitalism with its messages of self agrandizement through materialism. We can do little on the grand scale but we must be willing to bear G*d in our hearts, as the psalmists promises his angels will do for us.

Are any of us so righetous as to think we deserve freed from all labor and hardship? I am content that my struggle has meaning in H'shem.

Blessed be his glorious name. Thank you L*rd for the excellence you gave your servant Moshe.

No comments:

Post a Comment