(This is written as part of a study project I am doing this summer on the Psalms.(This psalm is part of P'sukei d'Zimra.)
Psalm 33, like most psalms is not hard to understand. I found a synopsis or two online but no substantial liturgical analysis. Therefore, I am just going to meditate on it and play with the English.
Again we have the poetic method of opposition and expansion. The first lines are encourage us to rejoice, praise, give thanks, sing, and play musical instruments to honor G*d.
L*rd let us do as the psalmist and encourage others to praise you.
This is an interesting subject. It is very hard not to alienate people with enthusiasm. Moreover, it is hard to prevent one's enthusiasm from running way out in front of your knowledge. The wisdom of the heart is certainty but without humility it can set a poor example.
G*d forgive my impatience and guide my purpose. Everyone is at a different point in their journey. Oh G*d help me not to lose my connection.
I don't know how I arrived at this state. I feel the need for prayer like I feel the need for food. I begin to feel unreal and nervous when I miss a day of minyan. I don't feel weak for G*d is always in my heart but I feel grounded out. It is as if my life has three states now sleeping, waking, and prayer.
I believe this is because when I pray with others we amplify each other, and when we have a minyan we achieve a level of potency. A lot of people dismiss this because they rightly feel they can pray anytime and some feel less self conscious that way. I love that we can do both! Each has merits.
back to the text...
Praising G*d is not always rejoicing, for G*d's power is terrifying.
"Let all the earth fear the LORD; let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of Him." (7)
This admonition is preceded however by 4 verses in which G*d's attributes of faithfulness, righteousness, justice and loving-kindness are celebrated.
Yet his works are overwhelming in their awesome scope and unbelievable power.
"By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of His mouth. He gathereth the waters of the sea together as a heap; He layeth up the deeps in storehouses."
Yet G*d is beyond nature, the source of its greatness but much more. The Psalmist turns his praise to a G*d who is directly aware of and involved as a judge of men.
The next six verses refer to G*d's care for men. He has given them "counsel". Through the prophets including Moshe. It "Standeth forever, the thoughts of his heart to all generations." (11)
"The thoughts of his heart" I smile that we are capable of such an expression! Oh for the merest fraction of a figment for the tiniest spark of that perfection. Praise the L*rd our G*d that a worthy Israel has the promise of such an inheritance. (12)
For good measure we are reminded of our own imperfection, "The LORD bringeth the counsel of the nations to nought; He maketh the thoughts of the peoples to be of no effect." (10)
Verses 13-15 Speak of G*d watching "intently" over "All the sons of men." for "He that fashioned the hearts of them all, considereth all their doings."
And yet how many people reject him, how many want to live for entertainment alone. All because they believe themselves greater judges than the author of creation!
The psalmist sees the same in his own time as it must have always been. He sees fit to provide several verses of 'argument'. "A King is not saved by his army, a man is not delivered by his strength" or his horses (16,17),
G*d alone is our judge.
"For in Him doth our heart rejoice, because we have trusted in His holy name." (21)
Amen!
Summer Psalms Project Page
Ani Uveyti Naavod Et H"
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel
Friday, April 15, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment