Psalm 93
(This is written as part of a study project I am doing this summer on the Psalms.(This psalm is part of P'sukei d'Zimra.)
A very short Psalm designated as the psalm for fridays. There are shorter pslams but its breivity is a wonder.
There is a curious repetition in verse one "The L*rd reigneth, he is clothed in majesty; the L*rd is clothed."
I don't like the idea of G*d being clothed. It makes a distinction where none is needed. It may be a bad translation. (Although it is said that this refernce maybe why the psalm is done on firday's as we dress up for Shabbat.)
I am not convinced. It feels more as if G*d is being comparred to great men. The pope has great regalia and costumes, a great throne. These things are not glorious. Interestingly, I often reflect on America's complete rejection of monarchy. Monarchy is natural to monotheism. The liturgy speaks of G*d as king all the time. (Sim Shalom uses the word Soveriegn to be gender neutral.)
What is glorious is G*d's works. "The world is establihed, that it cannot be moved." (1)
Verse three sounds to my ear like a chorus. It repeat "The floods lift..." three times. These floods are those who "roar" against Israel, These floods are those forces which pull her down into asymilation, These floods are the system that promotes selfish judgement and action."
Yet, unassialable is the might of G*d.
I find the translation of verse five "Thy testimonies are very sure." To be intolerably weak. I propose "Thy law is eternal truth." and add "Though we may not recognize or understand it."
Let Israel be holy, and those who deny the need for holiness be transfigured or destroyed.
I am inspired to add, Holy G*d who frees us from every Egypt, if I do not see the Messiach, let him still come soon. Let my every breath serve you, and may the righteous alone prosper that men have no reason to strive after inquity, and that none will be able to deny your sacred name.
Summer Psalms Project Page
Ani Uveyti Naavod Et H"
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel
Thursday, April 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment