Ani Uveyti Naavod Et H"
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Psalm 34

Psalm 34
(This is written as part of a study project I am doing this summer on the Psalms.(This psalm is part of P'sukei d'Zimra.)

"Do I lack madmen, that ye have brought this fellow to play the madman in my presence? shall this fellow come into my house?'" I Samuel 21:16

This Psalm begins by telling us it was composed when David HaMeleck feigned madness to escape Abimelech (Also called Achish in the Samuel.)

I can't but wonder if among the many sources for Hamlet this didn't figure in. However I desire it to be true so much that I doubt it :) Except that he feigned madness, Hamlet evidences nothing of David's esquite faith.

These verses are perfect (Not the translation but their formulation): I will bless the LORD at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul shall glory in the LORD; the humble shall hear thereof, and be glad.4 O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt His name together. (2-4)

This describes my ideal and my heart's desire. The psalm goes on with dizzying beauty. "I sought the lord, and he answered me." The L*rd is a refuge, he hears us, and delivers us from fear.

These lines need to be read themselves! "My soul shall gory in the Lord; the humble shall hear and be glad."

"I will teach you the fear of the LORD" (12)

This psalm is a masterpiece. I can barely find any words to describe its sublimity. It is a complete sermon by David. Inspired by his deliverance and an exemplar of prayer.

Those who seek G*d never want. "They looked unto him and were radiant" (6) For G*d's abundance is ever present to the righteous. The unrighteous however cut themselves off from it. Not only those who do evil but those who speak it (and think it) are iniquitous. We must "Do good, seek peace, and pursue it (15.)

Then David addresses the problem of evil which makes so many lose faith. He cares for the "broken hearted" (19) No matter how it appears or how long it seems to reign, "Evil shall kill the wicked; and they that hate the righteous shall be held guilty" (22) We exist to be made good through victory over 'evil'.

Another interesting statement is that the righteous too have faults (20) but that the L*rd will deliver them from them.

Life therefore is not fair, but there is ultimate justice which must be sought through hope. I have the hardest time with this, but I believe it and pray I shall no matter what occurs. L*rd strengthen me for the test. L*rd thank you for having delivered me.

Halleluyah.

(We say this verse, "gadlu laShem iti," when we remove the Torah from the Ark.) R. Jack Abramowitz.

No comments:

Post a Comment