Ani Uveyti Naavod Et H"
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel

Thursday, July 29, 2010

RT C4 Assignement 5 - Holiness

Contemplating "holiness" is a pleasure. Relating it to other people is challenging. I therefore did some research on the web and realized that My confusion on the subject was because this idea of "K-dosh" is quite different from the English word "Holiness"

I tend to conceptualize Holiness as the spirit of the whole (English root of holy), which is unchanging and perfect (which balances) creations constantly changing imperfection. That is to say only G*d is holy or (whole). I never applied this definition to people or even ritual objects.

K-dosh is different. First because it is a verb and cannot, even for individuals, be independent of action.

Our actions are like a mezuzah holder. Without the mezuzah itself what is the holder? Moreover by 'putting' the scroll inside and by 'placing' it on the door post
and by 'touching' it becomes more and more significant. (The Tellfim are also a good example).

Does this mean people are capable of holiness?

(Leviticus 20:7)
"And ye shall be holy unto Me; for I the LORD am holy, and have set you apart from the peoples, that ye should be Mine"

Notice the "set apart". I googled and found that (The root of K-dosh) seems to mean "set apart" as in "extra-ordinary." (I also found the root is in the torah 850 times)

Interestingly in Leviticus chapter 20 there are other verses which mention being separate. The first saying you shall "not walk in the customs of nations" (23) and you shall "therefore separate between the clean beast and the unclean" (25)

Israelites are separated from the [other] nations by the law. (Separated = made holy)
They separate the clean and unclean. (Separate = make holy)
Therefore by observing the law they are 'holy' or in some wise a manifestation of G*ds holy being.

This reminds me of one of the lines in our siddur about a "A kingdom of priests"

The description can't be exact. It also applies to the 'holy' land. G*d set it apart for the Israelites.

I find this 'set apart' idea interesting because on a hunch I looked up sacrifice (korban) and it means to 'draw near' as in to come closer. I thought of this because in sacrifices a portion was 'set apart'.

How does k-dosh relate to other people? Certainly prophets, scholars, and tzadikim can be considered to have a share in G*d's grace. All observance of the law sanctifies life, as do the blessings.

In this respect, K-dosh is not just the idea I had of a source of holiness. Kadosh is the full expression in creation. Its manifestation is the purpose of that creation. One may conclude therefore G*d's being is also the purpose of our own.

Blessed be he.

No comments:

Post a Comment