Ani Uveyti Naavod Et H"
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Naso 5771

Studying this year, I learned that the Hebrew word for marriage is nisuin. This has the same root as naso, lift up. Marriage is the plural of lifting (each other) up.

Interestingly, Nasso contains the commandment for the 'sotah', where a wife suspected by her husband of adultery is ritually tested for guilt.

In a way each tribe as it brings gifts is fulfilling the marriage requirements. In a sense they are marring G*d.

This theme I see tied together in the Kohen's blessing which is also in the parshah.

May the Lord lift His face upon you and grant you peace.” (Numbers 6:24-26)

Census.

Some other notes:

When the period of the vow was over, the former Nazir had to bring special offerings. In particular, he or she had to bring a sin offering. What was the sin? The Talmud teaches, The Nazir is a sinner because he afflicted himself through the abstention from wine. If one who afflicted himself only in respect of wine is called a sinner, how much more so one who ascetically refrains from all pleasures. (Nedarim 10a)

The curses that were dissolved in the water included God's name

No comments:

Post a Comment