All the prayers in Sim Shalom have changed me and move me in different and profound ways. It may sound funny, but Aleinu sometimes makes me think of the pledge of allegiance. I had forgotten that when I was religious as a child I felt stirred by those words. "One nation, under G*d, indivisible." This is certainly one of the main ideas in Aleinu.
Aleinu talks about duty. Duty like morality is often mocked in our society. The idea of individual freedom is important but the pendulum has swung too far in that direction. We no longer seem to trust each other, we no longer are civic minded. We are selfish and live only for our own pleasures. People are cynical; they are suspicious of "The greater good." because it calls for sacrifice. The irony is it seems to be human nature to sacrifice, what we want most, what gives us the most pride and self worth. Yet we have so many 'causes' and so many claims on our loyalty.
Imagine a world where everyone has their own religion, where everyone seeks to be the king or queen. That is the psychological sickness of our species, which is acute in our modern times.
One of the reasons I have dedicated my life to religious practice is that I have found a true community which has standards and works for a greater good. Pressured by the ‘freedoms’ of the larger society, commitment to principle seems to be suffering. Yet, I see faith and especially my coreligionists as a light in the darkness. My religion unequivocally asks that I believe in something greater than myself. For that higher power, we are taught to act in a way (Moral) that allows us to come together. Together can we achieve greater things than we can alone.
Each day, when I get to pray Aleinu. (Twice during the summer, though three times is correct) I pledge that my first loyalty is to ''. All else exists for him. Therefore, the first line brings me into sharp focus. "It is our duty to praise the greatness of the author of creation." The bow while giving thanks, always puts me in a mind of Royalty. I have a love of the ideal of Royalty that is not common in America. It comes from a romantic reading of history. Yet, it is a practical thing. A symphony has a conductor, the universe has only one G*d.
Unfortunately, men are such poor governors they have made the idea of government abhorrent. It is government to decide which words to use in a scentence. Yet we now have a fiction that all words must be equal. This has lead to the loss of meaning to words. This has made it very difficult to connect and do greater things. I believe this is intentional because when the government is so big constant evolution means that’s energy debuches into sideways change instead of actual progress. I see the governments of the world as having little intrest in solving problems. If they solve an issue they become unnecessary. I love that we pray every week for good government at the end of the Torah service.
Praying the last lines of Aleinu gives me a vision of perfection, of perfect government. Having this vision everyday has changed me. It has also given me back the hope of redemption for the world I had as a child. This vision of G*d is the destiny of creation. It is the fondest hope of my heart. It also gives me purpose and conviction.
The last lines are bitter sweet. They talk of a coming day. Yet that day is today. Men can exile themselves from G*d but his name is always one, and he rules us always in perfection whether we know it or not.
Aleinu is predicated on the idea that we can choose not to be loyal to G*d, that we can refuse to bend our knee to him. This does seem to be the fact of the world. Yet, G*d is not bound or removed in some way. It is our own imperfection.
I know a thousand people and only a handful that want the vision of Aleinu right now and unconditionally.
I do. I pray I shall never lose the passion which cries out for an end to the delusion and corruption. However, I know that in G*d's time, at the perfect moment, his indomitable will shall manifest an everlasting judgment of mankind.
All we possess then will be our good deeds. This is surely the basis of the idea of Karma and the child's heaven. I don't want a fairy tale. I long for an end to my own confusion, to the world’s sickness, pain, and injustice.
I long for the day when I cease to be myself and am one with the name. May I serve him all my days, and with all my being. May I help to right wrong and also know peace and love. Thank you G*d for your mercy on me every day.
I have decided to write my own prayer based on Aleinu. I started out to use every bit of it respectfully but ran into some problems. I sense a double or triple structure beneath it. Hidden pillars and perhaps some esoteric formula. My work would be a corruption of any such composition. Instead my prayer is just inspired by it; a response to it if you will. I hope that I can be forgiven for adding and subtracting from it in that I only did so to explore my thoughts and feelings on the text. (I started doing this with the psalms and believe it to be a good practice if done with great humility. I would not do so with the received word.)
Blessed is the L*rd our G*d to whose greatness it is upon us to praise. Amen!
It is upon us (Aleinu) to honor and praise G*d, Is it not right to praise the source and maintainer of our lives?
Praising the L*rd our G*d is the purpose of the created universe. The Holy one, Blessed is he, is more than a master worthy of acclaim. No glory man can imagine, no holiness man can conceive but reflects a spark of his everlasting dominion and perfect countenance.
'' creates and sustains every thing in the universe, Everything that ever was is present and subordinate to him. Everything that is possible is his to command. The nature of all life is his imperative in action.
It is our sacred duty to praise G*d for he did not make us like the nations of other lands, and did not make us the same as other peoples of the Earth.
It is our obligation to praise the L*rd of the Universe because we are a chosen people, who G*d has given a special destiny. Our obligation to praise G*d is greater because we are unlike other peoples. We are G*d's holy people. Among the nations we are set apart. We are to be an example and a steward of other nations. We must not be ashamed of this or take it for granted. We must rise to the calling, we must make holiness the center of our lives.
With gratitude and joy we bow, bending our knees to give thanks unto the Ruler of Rulers. The Most Holy who alone is G*d, spreads out the heavens and gives a foundation to the Earth.
May all souls recognize, may all knees bend, and may every tongue swear loyalty before you '' our G*d. Bowing to you, honoring your precious name, accepting the yoke that we may be worthy of your rule.
We put our hope in your strength, '' our G*d. Your glory repairs the world. We long that all idols and false gods be completely destroyed. That all that lives will call your name. We pray that the wicked will turn back to you and surrender.
As it is written in Your Torah: "And you shall know today, and take to heart, that H-Shem is the only God, in the heavens above and on Earth below. There is no other."
As it is written in Your Torah: "H-shem reigns forever and ever."
Though we say "on that day, God will be One, and God's name will be One." G*d's unity is, was, and will be perfect. G*d's name is, was, and will be one.
Halleluyah.
Ani Uveyti Naavod Et H"
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel
Friday, May 13, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment