Ani Uveyti Naavod Et H"
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Birchot HaShachar

14 Birchot in Sim Shalom for the Ha-Shachar
The Sim Shalom renders "King of the universe" as "who rules the universe" to be gender neutral. It is a brilliant substitution. The best part is that instead of saying "King of the universe who" does x, y, or z, it makes the verb a gerund; an action verb not just past tense. I respect the traditional usage also but applaud using the language itself to get us closer to him if possible.

SG told me this also reflects the things we do in the morning. For example “Who clothes the naked” is getting dressed as well as having the broader meaning.

Rock and Roll…

1. Blessed art thou L*rd our G*d, who rules the Universe enabling us to distinguish day from night. AMEN!
It is very hard to start cold with this blessing on Shabbat morning. This is why we are supposed to start with the other morning blessings to warm up before the warm up. I have gotten into the habit of getting up at 7a.m. and trying to get up to speed.

This first bracha asks us to immediately to reflect on what we can and cannot understand. Perhaps I am thinking of the Jeremiah I just studied (Chapter 32), but this is "turning" my face to G*d.

Are understanding and discernment like day and night?
Are they parts of a greater unity? We discern forms of being which are all subject to which G*d's being is the source. Our understanding is our individual awareness.
Our consciousness is imperfect and therefore bound to suffer in life. That suffering has meaning and can be transcended in the source.

Through contemplation let us strengthen belief, through belief let us rise to action. Through action let us strengthen others. Together let us manifest justice which fills our awareness with G*d.


2. Blessed art thou, L*rd Our G*d, who rules the Universe making me in the divine image. AMEN!
There are many ways to respond to G*d and the liturgy is about just that response. This line I tend to dismiss in its direct meaning. I usually remember at this point that the conservative sidur has changed it from "Who made me a man" to "who made us in your own image." For G*d is perfect and here we are editing and improving ourselves!

May we succeed in this, knowing only G*d is perfect. May we also realize that though we may resolve one injustice. We may create others in doing so. May we remember how hard it is to live up to our "image" and ideal of G*d.
May we remember (Zakhor) that G*d created all things with his awesome, and unfathomable might! May we bless his name forever.


3. Blessed art thou L*rd our G*d, who rules the Universe who has made me a Jew. AMEN!
Over the last year, I have said this line 'becoming' a Jew. I have both felt I was and felt I was striving to become a Jew. May I always remember this, may I always strive. May I always be thankful. May my life be praise for G*d as are the words of my heart.


4. Blessed art thou L*Rd our G*d, who rules the Universe making me free. AMEN!Some siddurim have a different predicate here that is a negative formulation "who did not make me a slave." It is interesting to realize we can also thank G*d for things he did not do. Yet in this case the positive action is clearer.

This of course makes me think of the Exodus for it is proper to (Zakhor) on Shabbat. However, I felt like a slave until I began living for G*d. A man whose spirit is given to the L*rd can never be a slave.

May I always remember what G*d has done for me and that I have been delivered from "Egypt". The Egypt of my own judgments, the Egypt of my ignorance, The Egypt of my conceit. Freedom also is not an end. It is to be used to live for G*d and to help bring holiness into the world. From the spark in our minds to the good deeds that enact our ideals- G*d guide us!

5. Blessed art thou L*rd our G*d, who rules the Universe giving sight to the blind. (Who opens our eyes.) AMEN!To open one’s eyes, is a universal metaphor. (I'd think).
It means to awaken, it means to have life. It means to give insight, to come to 'see' something, to understand and more.

The eye is an amazing creation and it is also the 'window' to desire. It can be an instrument of evil (Evil eye)

We are all blind without G*d. There is nothing to see without G*d. There is nothing without G*d.

6. Blessed art thou L*rd our G*d, who rules the Universe clothing the naked. AMEN!Clothes us, shelters us. Imagine having no clothes or shelter. On Shabbat we don't ask for things but we can stop and be thankful.

Moreover this connotes that G*d has protected us from his own glory. We have a mind of layers like clothes. The layers, even the confusion is good for us; if we keep G*d in our heart and live for him.
Usually I am dressed nicely on Shabbat and with it comes a feeling of pride. I surrender that pride and offer to G*d. He alone is the source of all that we have. Man should guard always against pride, though take some in repairing the world. Pride is the root of most evil, but evil exists to be made good.

Adam and Chava were naked but they didn't know it. We who don't live in Gan Eden are clothed by G*d. Praise him and don't take it for granted that he sustains us.
The more you have the more you should thank him. The more you have the more you should pray to have less that you need.

You don't need to give it all away but you cannot enjoy it if you don't also do for others. Would you leave the naked unclothed and yet give yourself all manner of pleasure? It is not pleasure that is wrong but that we do not recognize the highest pleasure is to Give G*d joy through Tzedakah and praise!

7. Blessed art thou L*rd our G*d, who rules the Universe who releases the bound. AMEN!
Here again the Sim Shalom raises the idea from "releases the prisoners" to releases the "bound." G*d can free us from all bonds not just prison bonds. From ideas, from ignorance, from our own iniquity, G*d is unlimitable.

8. Blessed art thou L*rd our G*d, who rules the Universe lifting up the lowly. (Raises the downtrodden, straightens the crooked.) AMEN!
He "raises up the lowly and sets them with princes" Says Psalm 113. Well technically it asks "Who does" but the bracha answers it.

All that we have belongs to G*d. A lot of people don't like to take that to heart. Some want to give G*d something of themselves, they don't want to accept that we are utterly dependent on G*d. They want to be free.

It is a hard step to let go of what we have accomplished as our own but it frees us from blaming ourselves for our failures. People I talk with can't do it because in their mind it exonerates the wicked. Yet the wicked cause pain and death but did not allow them to exist.

I do not ask you to believe as I do. I will however praise G*d forever.

9. Blessed art thou L*rd our G*d, who rules the Universe creating the heavens and the earth. AMEN!
No clue why this ranks only 9 on this top ten list :) I mean it is pretty high in the rank of G*d's might deeds but still only the smallest fraction of his awesome glory.

Again I think (Zakhor) remember what he has done. Praise his deeds for all generations. Reach for your own self realization as created by him. Reject setting yourself above everything else. That is the idolatry that pulls men down again and again. To him give the glory. To him give your joys~!


10. Blessed art thou L*rd our G*d, who rules the Universe providing for all my needs. AMEN!
Every minute of every day is a gift of G*d's everlasting mercy. We think we have more needs than we do. Are you thankful? Is your heart grateful?


11. Blessed art thou L*rd our G*d, who rules the Universe guiding us on our path. (Establishes footsteps) AMEN!
Our minds do not know what is best. Inconceivable courses of action occur regularly. Miracles proliferate. We change. The path we think is right for us may not be. It takes greater clarity to let go of understanding :)


12. Blessed art though L*rd our G*d, who rules the Universe giving Israel courage (might) AMEN!
Courage is the power to face our fears. Fear springs from imagination. We have the power to image the future and it can terrify us. The future belongs to G*d.


13. Blessed art thou L*rd our G*, who rules the universe crowing the people Israel with glory. AMEN!All glory and honor are G*d's therefore let this mean let us be close to him. Let us look to him at all times. Let us not sit and wonder why, He is the answer. Let us not ask what the meaning of life is, He is the meaning. Let us cultivate our talents, let us work together as other people no longer can. Let us rebuke one another and become greater for the Glory of G*d's ineffable name.

14. Blessed art though L*rd our G*d who rules the Universe restoring strength to the weary. AMEN!What are we spending our strength on day in and day out. What do we get up in the morning for? What is it that we want for our life?

None of this is attainable without the miracle's G*d has created. We would become sick, we would starve, we would never wake in the morning if not for the Holy one, Blessed is he.

Our strength diminishes, but work can make us stronger.
We can grow in spirit as we do in body. We can make our trials into that through which we better ourselves. The whole world wastes its energy not having a direction, arguing over relativity, with everyone striving for uniqueness.

G*d alone is unique. G*d alone is the note to which to tune yourself. G*d cannot be limited. The energy cannot flow to you if you are turned away. The energy and the power of G*d is never ending. Yield to G*d and your cup will overflow; if your cup is empty you must turn to him. He is good to all that he created.

AMEN and AMEN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment