Just wanted to note that I attended a lecture last Thursday on Christianity in The Mideast and one last night by a visiting Rabbi From Jerusalem recounting "4000 years of Jewish history in an hour."
Although the dire circumstances of the Christians in the Mideast made the largely christian audience very anxious and angry, I learned a lot about demographics. One argument made was that the Iraq war had resulted in a backlash against Christan's there. They did relate this persecution to anti-semitism. There was also an awkward friction about "Messianc Jews" which The Director of the Federation spoke up to point out where not considered Jewish by Jews. With all we do to connect it was an unfortunate but absolutley necessary distinction. I am a glad it was made. From their point of view however Oy ve! I suppose if you believe in Christ you are by definition a christian. Religion is confusing because man is a magpie. Judaism however has to my mind the greatest integrity and though other systems have certain internal consistancy they are folly. Yet, I would that we all served G*d.
Which reminds me the speaker argued "Alah" was not the same G*d as that of the Christians because he is not a "triune" G*d. I sort of shifted in my seat thinking. "G*d what fools these mortals be!"
Rabbi Porath was full of energy and a great speaker. (This I guess you expect from someone who was billed as having not only a father and grandfather who were Rabbis but from a family that has had 18 generations of them!!!)
His style engaged the crowd every time there was a personage or name, he would ask if we knew it and we answered like happy school children.
I was pleased that I had the general outline in my head. I did pickup the several interesting items. The most interesting that both Joseph Caro and Isaac Luria were in Safed in 1540's. I have to look into that!
I love the lectures in the cultural series. It is Culture that we need to raise our standards.
I also had a lot of friends there and felt it was an evening not wasted.
Praise G*d.
Ani Uveyti Naavod Et H"
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel
Tuesday, May 24, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment