Ani Uveyti Naavod Et H"
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Vayakhel 5771

Parshah Vayakhel
Exodus 35:1-38:20 I Kings 7:40-7:50 (I Kings 7:13-7:26)

When I began Parsha Vayakhel, I thought I had a bad Torah reading list. The first section of Vayakhel is so similar to that of Parsha Terumah that I was convinced I was rereading. I even stopped and checked that I had the correct citation. Vayakehl again describes the construction of the Mishkan, the ark, etc. There is also a repetition of the strict injunction against any of work ("melachah") on Shabbat and the positive command to work the other six days.

The similarities in the text hit me like a hammer. My first thought was that this was a shocking duplication that would be hard to defend. That is I always try to read the Torah as literal truth and support that position to the utmost of my ability. This method is questionable in all fields but TT. Yet from man's typical point of view the text sometimes seems to evidence small errors. I believe, however, as do the sages, that those apparent errors and contradictions are intentional devices of the L*rd our G*d (This is the work of TT to elucidate). They are meant to shape our minds and challenge our souls even when we can't understand them fully.

In this very case, the principle is well demonstrated and it has been commented on widely. These are not duplicate texts laid in by compilers. One is a description of how to build, the other relates the actual building. The difference, which I did not perceive when reading Terumah, is mind blowing. Although, easy to fly by or dismiss as "more or repetition of construction facts" the difference between the idea of a thing and the manifestation of a thing is the primary idea of Jewish Mysticism (Kabalah.) More over, that the Israelites are doing something similar illustrates for me the idea we are made in G*d's image.

Unfortunately, men so easily worship what they make instead of their maker. Men so often mistake their ideas for the object of their ideas.

In this respect, in the last parsha (Ki Tisa) when Moshe destroyed the tablets, it was not just that the people were unworthy. The stones themselves were destroyed so they would not be worshipped in the place of G*d. (like the calf).

H" forgive our imperfection. Each of us longs for your judgement.

The Torah can teach something so profound with an 'apparent error' that when one considers the 300,000+ pages of the Talmud pouring over other contradictions, questions, and lives of generations that lived by TT - we must be humble. (And how much more commentary and erudition exist before and after to guide and enlighten us!)

Vayakhel means "congregation" as in those gathered to hear Moshe relate the teaching of Sinai. The first emphasis after the golden calf is the Shabbat. It is purposely indicated first so that rest is not to be construed as less important than work. This underlines the idea that the Miskan, the ark, and other objects are not to be worshipped like the golden calf. Their holiness is not intrinsic but only comes from their being 'set aside' for service to G*d.

I note the 39 laws of restricted work are derived from this parshat.

As for the haftorah, it is different this parsha in Sephardic and Ashkenazic communities but both refer to Kings I chapter seven and Hiram. Hiram was a Tyrian copper-smith and craftsman working for Solomon of the first Temple. (Interestingly Hiram is also the first Free Mason in their whacky lore.)

We no longer experience the Miskan or the Temple. Therefore, we have to turn inward and find the same idea of a microcosm of the universe in each of our souls.

May G*d fill us with purpose and strength. Blessed is he.

No comments:

Post a Comment