The confusion about the priesthood in the Torah has meant that people tend to see it according to their own prejudices. This has had the unfortunate result of many rejecting the institution. (Which no doubt allowed their even more impious rejection of hope for a restored Temple in the Reform movement.)
Many argue that we can't verify the heredity of the Kohanim. This kind of argument disguised as practical is quite shallow. It is predicated on a loathsome vanity that man is the measure of truth. We need not verify the sacred by the profane. If you are going to ask such a thing where does it end? Secular history doesn't support numerous narrative elements of the Torah. G*d didn’t say “Do you guys think we need a priesthood?” it was commanded.
Many wrongly degrade the Kohanim (the sacrifices and the temple) to 'historical' institutions no longer desired. In the case of the priests they are maligned because they are (not were) a hereditary aristocracy. American society rejects the idea of caste and of rights by birth. In practice however this is absurd. It is a fact of life that some are born to privilege and that some are born with talent while others are not. Some are born into power.
History has shown that corruption follows power. With a commitment to Torah and recognition that G*d is the only source of power this can be overcome. People just don't believe that these days manly because so many of modern societies values are “anti-religious.” I suggest this is because those with power have a vested interested in promoting the view seeking power as wrong. I suggest this is because we are bred for submission not excellence. I suggest that this is because people want entertainment and not education.
Isn't Democracy itself of questionable value when the majority are poor and uninformed? All of us are largely ignorant of important military, economic, or diplomatic facts and therefore are not qualified for leadership. In practice, the debt and responsibility is always made public. The profit and power, however, are privatized. Moreover we are easily manipulated by fear (especially by those who control our livelihoods.) Doesn't the constant shifting of representatives including the president allow for never ending blame shifting and the lack of accountability? Is rejection of ritual freeing us from any of this?
It can not be said that modern Judaism is a mystery religion run by an elite. The Torah was given to all the Israelites. They are considered a nation of priests and holy people. Having been minorities since the loss of their kindgom 2 millennia ago, Jews naturally support a pluralistic society.
They cannot thrive without freedom to worship. Freedom to worship however has lead to a desire for freedom from religion. Our society teaches self indulgence, abhorrence of thinking, and that it is snobbery to define morality.
Aristocracy should have social responsibility. They are to be an example of morality for the rest of us. They should use their prestige, money, and power charitably. This we can all do it is true. The Kohanim are more than an aristocracy. In the age of temple they had to devote themselves to the service of G*d. How many of us are willing to do that? Why not?
Post temple and rabbinic Judaism has held a community value in merit based scholarship. The leaders are not special. Innovation is also critical. The freedom of women to participate in ritual radically transformed Judaism but I support it. Rejection of the priesthood however is to me a pettiness of spirit.
Ani Uveyti Naavod Et H"
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel
Thursday, February 10, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment