Parshah Tezaveh
Exodus 27:20-30:10 Ezekiel 43:10-43:27
Tetzaveh means "you command" which references the commandment " And thou shalt command the children of Israel, that they bring unto thee pure olive oil beaten for the light, to cause a lamp to burn continually" (27:20-21) This is the "Ner Tamid" the Eternal Light.
The remainder of parsha Tetzaveh describes the world of the Kohanim: Priestly garments (Bigdei Kodesh) accoutrements (Klay Kodesh, 'holy tools') 28:1-43, sacrifices 29:1-46, and the altar 30:1-10.
These descriptions include details of the elaborate rituals for consecrating the priests and altar.
The Haftorah also discusses the size of an altar and rules of sacrifice but in relation to Ezekiel's vision of the "third" or future temple.
The priesthood in the Torah is a fascinating but for me rather advanced subject. The sages have elucidated the matter and there is great import and discussion. Despite the great detail and emphasis on the Levites in the Torah the Kohanim remains a very esoteric and specialized subject.
I do not have any deep commentary on this parsha but here is an essay reflecting my support for them in modern practice.
My Views on Kohanim
Ani Uveyti Naavod Et H"
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel
Thursday, February 10, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment