Parshah Terumah
Exodus 25:1-27:19 I Kings 5:26-6:13
Terumah means “elevated” offering/gift or donation "contribution" The main subject of parsha Terumah (and the rest of Shemot) is instruction on how to build the sanctuary, the ark, the tabernacle, and the alter.
The Haftorah (I Kings 5:26-6:13) similarly describes in detail the construction of the Temple by Solomon. This has a beautiful resonance as the Temple replaced or rather contained the sanctuary where sacrifices to G*d were made.
G*d asked for an offering from each person and then that Israel, 25:8 "make me a sanctuary, that I may dwell among them." They are to give G*d gifts and sacrifices in this sanctuary. An interesting verse is 25:2 which states that gifts must be given freely "whose heart maketh him willing." In study, I read that the "dwell in them" is important as it means that G*d is among the people not just in the sanctuary.
The construction of the Ark is described in detail and in it 25:16 "thou shalt put into the ark the testimony which I shall give thee." G*d will speak from the ark, "And there I will meet with thee, and I will speak with thee from above the ark-cover, from between the two cherubim which are upon the ark of the testimony, of all things which I will give thee in commandment unto the children of Israel." (25:22)
25:31-37 describes the construction of a Menorah.
The construction of the Tabernacle (Mishkan) is described in chapter 26.
The construction of the Alter is described in chapter 27.
Interestingly, there are three references one for the sanctuary, one for the tabernacle, and one for the alter which refer to Mt. Sinai.
25:40 "And see that thou make them after their pattern, which is being shown thee in the mount."
26:30 "And thou shalt rear up the tabernacle according to the fashion thereof which hath been shown thee in the mount."
27:8 Hollow with planks shalt thou make it; as it hath been shown thee in the mount, so shall they make it."
It is hard not to skim over the details of the building materials, yet as we read we can construct them in our imagination. The expressiveness of Hebrew is incredible. Have you ever stopped to think how amazing it is that with words humans can communicate so much?
To create beautiful tapestries even to sacrifice makes me ask does G*d really need anything? Are not these harmonizing activities also metaphors for how a society can work together to produce something greater something that brings them together. All we have to offer G*d he has given us. So we are only realizing his ‘presence’ This explains how the presence can be considered ‘localized’ when G*d is everywhere, eternal, and unlimited.
People seem stingy but as a whole we have an amazing capacity for charity. Of all our 'evils' man alone seems to provide for other men in a way that animals do not. If only we would do more. If we embrace our creator and his manifestation in giving, in justice, and in peace we realize our own purpose. G*d give us opportunity to prosper and strength to endure. G*d let us help each other.
In the Haftorah G*d renews the covenant, sadly as the Prophets will record, the Israelites failed to keep the commandments. Some drash speculates that it was the voluntary nature of the 'contributions' (Terumah) that set it apart from the fate of the Temple. They read the Haftorah as being built through forced 'contributions'. This seems like looking for answers to me however it stresses that what we do for G*d is almost symbolic unless we are giving our hearts and then we are like his instruments in the world. Glorious!
(I Kings:12-13) 'As for this house which thou art building, if thou wilt walk in my statutes, and execute Mine ordinances, and keep all my commandments to walk in them; then will I establish my word with thee, which I spoke unto David thy father; 13 in that I will dwell therein among the children of Israel, and will not forsake my people Israel.'
May G*d dwell in the tabernacle of our hearts each moment and the world awaken to his presence. Vene-emar: Vehayah Hashem lemelech al kal ha-eretz, ba-yom hahu yih'ye Hashem echad, ushmo echad(For then shall the words be fulfilled, "The Lord shall be King forever," and, "The Lord shall be king over all the earth; on that day the Lord shall be one, and his name one.)
Ani Uveyti Naavod Et H"
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel
Tuesday, February 1, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"That I may dwell [Hebrew, v'shachanti] among them." The verb is the one from which Shechinah, the rabbinic term for the Divine Presence, is derived. (The Pentateuch and Haftorahs, edited by J. H. Hertz, published by Soncino Press,
ReplyDeleteLondon, 1950)
[In], misheberakh, which we recite in
ReplyDeletethe synagogue right after the reading of the haftarah. We ask God to bless all
those who serve the public weal, "by uniting to establish synagogues for prayer,
and entering them to pray, and giving funds for heat and light, and wine for
Kiddush and Havdalah, bread to the wayfarer and charity to the poor, and
devoting themselves always to the needs of this community and the Land of
Israel."
The prayer is a marvelous instance of the manner in which the synagogue
contributes to the formation of social capital. The liturgy turns values into
prayers which function as an instrument of public education. Behavior we deem
worthy of God's favor should become a goal for our own lives.
Rabbi Ismar Schorsch