Ani Uveyti Naavod Et H"
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Tzav 5771

Parshah Tzav
Leviticus 6:1-8:36 Jeremiah 7:21-8:3; 9:22-9:23

In parasha Tzav Moses addresses the Kohanim and Levites regarding the rituals for the offerings. He describes the laws for taking up the ashes from the Mishkan, keeping the fire going on the alters, eating certain parts of the sacrifices (except from the burnt offering), and performing the ceremony of ordination for Aaron and his sons.

The Haftorah is a justly venomus condemnation idolatry by Jeremiah. In which they sacrifices are mentioned. "Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel: Add your burnt-offerings unto your sacrifices, and eat ye flesh. For I spoke not unto your fathers, nor commanded them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt-offerings or sacrifices." (J7:21-22). The idolatry included the horror of "they have built the high places of Topheth, which is in the valley of the son of Hinnom, to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire." (J7:31) Yikes!

My study this week I struggled to find esoteric or symbolic meanings in the rituals. Although the laws for performing each certainly carry deeper meanings, I found them strangely straightforward. They are recipes and I didn't feel able to interpret them poetically. Therefore, I assume they are either largely practical or require keys to understand metaphorically. I would not doubt that to the initiated each instruction was loaded with meaning. I shall have to mature in my studies before attempting anything adequate by way of commentary in that vein.

Therefore, I am just going to grab a couple lines at random and give my impressions free form.

"Speak unto Aaron and to his sons, saying: This is the law of the sin-offering: in the place where the burnt-offering is killed shall the sin-offering be killed before the LORD; it is most holy.The priest that offereth it for sin shall eat it; in a holy place shall it be eaten, in the court of the tent of meeting. Whatsoever shall touch the flesh thereof shall be holy; and when there is sprinkled of the blood thereof upon any garment, thou shalt wash that whereon it was sprinkled in a holy place. But the earthen vessel wherein it is sodden shall be broken; and if it be sodden in a brazen vessel, it shall be scoured, and rinsed in water." (6:18-21)

Each line of the parsha is loaded with detail like this which is difficult for me to understand. Each type of offering is elaborated on as regards its import and performance.

The sin-offering is done at the place where the burnt offering is done but what does that imply? Does the phrase "it is most holy" necessarily mean it is holier than the burnt offering? What is the difference between one kind of holiness and another? The priest that offered it can eat the holy thing, at the holy place (tent of meeting) and just touching it makes anyone holy. To continue merely restating the text: blood from the offering which touches garments can only be washed off in a holy place. Finally, only a 'brazen' vessel used for washing can be reused an earthen one must be destroyed.

I can't interpret this much. For some reason a brazen vessel does not become impure but a earthenware one does. The offering and the blood become holy and must be kept them separate when sacrificed to G*d.

The only conclusion here is that holiness requires purity and the dedication of places, garments, and vessels. Also perhaps that holy meat can make holy men in some way. It sounds like an assignment in biology lab from college. One too many drops and you fail.

That is glib. In principle, I advocate a return to such practices as fulfillment of the commandments. However, a simple reading doesn't yield illumination into the subject.

I pray I may do better with this parsha in years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment