Ani Uveyti Naavod Et H"
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Schul in Ann Arbor, MI

I traveled to Ann Arbor on business and after work took a cab to the local conservative schul. I ended up getting dropped of in college town to eat and walking a mile back. I mention this detail only so I can recollect it later; it was very cold.

I arrived and sat for about an hour in the sanctuary. About seven people came for minyan. However, they tried to call people for 20 minutes and then everyone left WITHOUT DAVENING!!!

I got another cab back. I felt a little bummed. However, and I know I read things into this but afterward I had instant Karma. I won't relate the details as the rewards are not why we serve the L*rd. I also see this story which made me proud as dangerous, but I am commited to striving to "set aside" time. This gives my life meaning yes, but I can carry the light with me and I hope in some way I can serve him; I don't even have to know how.

For example, I was standing outside waiting for a cab and a couple people arrived and asked what I was doing. I told them I had come for minyan but we hadn't prayed. They apologized and said please come back. I promised to whenever I was in town. I hope that for them, my desire sparked even a second of realization that each schul is a real sanctuary, a becon, that sanctifies.

It was a cool feeling to know that when I travel there are communities and sim shalom waiting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment