Rav mentioned the main idea of her recent Sedra article (Our newsletter) referencing the second paragraph of the Shma (11:13-21). She asked us to question whether it was logical that praying these words could make it rain. (Interestingly I read a joke on line that asks why we pray for rain three times a day?)
She then took this idea further and distributed the lyrics to a song called "children of the winter of 1973". She talked of the Yom Kippur war and its psychological effect. This she used to illustrate the contrast of the idea of the 'promised land' and the garden of Eden.
There was a tremendous amount of pessimism- everyone seemed to believe the wars will never end.Several comments were made about the ideals and hopes of each generation for its children.
I got off subject but, tried to ask if the comparison might not have something to teach looked at the other way around. That when the rain falls the land is fecund, when we observe the commandments (like praying shma) we are fecund.
My answer isn't supposed to be romantic. We must conclude that no circumstances are beyond G*d’s power to change. Reason without faith leads to subjection. How much of our disappointment with life is because of our own desires? Why do people kill and mistreat each other if not for their own gain. "No Other" but G*d is perfect so we shouldn't expect Eden. (Easier said than done.)
The idea of promise though has not only to do with the future but with something that exists today. A child can be said to have 'promise' this is not something distant. Nor is the transformative power of commitment to H-Shem ever distant.
Why don't we live in Eden? I look forward to studying that in depth for the first time after we finish Deuteronomy. Right now I would say that it is because we attempt to judge 'good' and 'evil' and then fight over what they mean- a good for one maybe an evil for another.
I don't think we can act ethically without making some flawed judgments. I don't think that until the world to come we with 'know' perfect justice. (But if it is just in the end- it was for all time).
"Heed all these commandments that I enjoin upon you, thus it will go well with you and your descendents after you forever, for you will be doing what is good and right in the sight of the Lord your God" (12:28).
To ‘heed’ however requires understanding and that is always imperfect. The situations are also never exactly the same. Therefore what we have to do, is our best to apply our minds to the principles, apply our hearts to 'going beyond the letter of the law', and use what has come before as a guide, We must try not to repeat our mistakes.
We can't just say it is impossible. It is impossible for us to make it perfect. It is possible for us to make it better. Nothing is impossible for G*d. May he have mercy on us. Amen.
Ani Uveyti Naavod Et H"
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel
Monday, August 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment