Parshah Vavechi
Genesis 47:28-50:26 I Kings 2:1-12
Vayechi ("He [Yaakov] lived") is a deceptively simple epilogue to the story of Joseph. The parsha relates that it has been seventeen years since Yaakov came to live in Egypt and consists of three main movements. Yaakov blesses Josephs son's preferring the younger of the Ephraim. Yaakov then blesses each of his sons, some with great recriminations. Joseph and the entire family journey to Canaan to the cave of the field of Machpelah to bury Yaakov.
Yaakov blesses Josephs son's preferring the younger of the Ephraim to Manasseh. (48:12-20) The text relates Yaakov is dim of sight with old age. Joseph attempts to correct him saying "Not so father this is my first-born" (48:18), but Yaakov says he knows them apart and intentionally laid his right hand on Ephraim. Verse 20 "God make thee as Ephraim and as Manasseh." is a blessing that has come
down the centuries for fathers and sons.
Yaakov then blesses each of his sons, some with great recriminations. He cites Reuben’s transgression with his concubine and the violence at Shechem by Levi and Simeon. I found the verse "The blessings of thy father are mighty beyond the blessings of my progenitors unto the utmost bound of the everlasting hills" (49:26) to stand out for questioning. It suggests to me that a blessing does not need to diminish as it is spread amongst many, that the opposite is true. For how can Yaakov's blessing be greater, except that it will manifest more in the multitudes of the twelve tribes? This is a very positive idea, one that is somewhat at odds with some of the esoteric teachings of the Kabbalah which implies more matter means less spirit. (My own interpretation). However, the relationship is close as the root for bones (atzamot) and essence (atzmut) is the same. I have never been a dualist. However, G*d's blessing is to the world what the idea of the spirit is to the body. Without the blessing, without holiness in the world, all would be dead and meaningless. Were it not for the Lord of Hosts all would be terror, Bless his holy name.
The Haftorah (1 Kings 2) relates Melek David's advise to his successor Solomon. The Haftorah was clearly chosen to parallel Yaakov's giving of blessing and advice to his sons. Melek David, however, has both some debts of gratitude and scores to settle. Yaakov's blessings do not mention anyone outside the family.
Returning to the parsha narrative, Joseph and the entire family journey to Canaan. There they bury Yaakov in the cave of the field of Machpelah. (Yaakov had made Joseph swear to this in 47:31). Afterward, the brothers fear Joseph will now revenge himself. He weeps and reassures them again "G*d meant it for good" (50:20)
I experienced a loss of family focus when my grandmother zt"l [of blessed memory] died in 2008. Each group of her children's children became its own center. This is natural but can be destructive. Through the generations, it would be this story of forgiveness and higher purpose of the Avot including Moshe's generation that would unite the tribes. In fulfillment of the covenant they are made a great nation. Thank G*d for such mercy on the world.
Joseph dies with a prophecy. 50:24 "I die; but God will surely remember you, and bring you up out of this land" This recalls G*d's promise to Yaakov "I myself will go down with you to Egypt and I will also bring you back" (Genesis 46:4)
Coming at the end of Bereshit, one can't help but see the metaphor of the Land of Israel as Eden to which the Israelites are promised to return. Adam's exile is like the exile of the children of Yaakov. The story of their tribulations to return will be central to the rest of the Torah and provide our "teachings" for how to live until our redemption is realized and Adam's exile is also ended.
As we hope we must also be realistic. This calls to mind that I also read that Vayechi has no space in the text between the end of Vayigash. This lack of space is called a 'stumah.' meaning 'sealed.' The suggestion of Rashi is that Yaakov's death began a period in which the Israelites where 'closed' off from G*d (in the manifestations like Yaakov's) while in Egypt. Powerful Stuff!
Thus ends the mythic grandeur of Bereshit; itself so much more than myth. "Hazak, hazak, v'nithazek," "Be strong, be strong and let us strengthen one another."
Ani Uveyti Naavod Et H"
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel
Not on mortals do I rely, nor upon angels do I depend, but on the God of the Universe, the God of truth, whose Torah is truth, and who abounds in deeds of goodness and truth. In God do I put my trust; unto God’s holy, precious being do I utter praise. Open my heart to Your Torah. Answer my prayers and the prayers of all Your people Israel for goodness, for life, and for peace. Amen. - Zohar, Parashat Vayakhel
Monday, December 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The brothers were compared by Yaakov to animals: Judah to a lion (49:9); Issachar to a large-boned ass (49:14); Dan to a snake (49:17); Naphtali to a hind (49:21); Benjamin to a wolf (49:27).
ReplyDelete